Drs. Burks and Gailitis are both experts at cataract removal and lens replacement surgery. They perform the latest techniques in Refractive Cataract surgery helping their patients achieve the best vision possible after cataract removal. They are both leaders in the community and serve as consultants to other doctors desiring to improve their surgical techniques. They pride themselves on staying current with the latest skills and providing compassionate care to their patients.
Education and Training
- Bachelors of Science, United States Air Force Academy and Northwestern Univ.
- Graduate Studies, Warnborough College, Oxford, UK
- MD’s Tulane and Northwestern University Medical Schools
- Harvard Basic Science Course in Ophthalmology
- Residencies: Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, University of Minnesota
- Fellowships, Eye Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Cornea and Refractive Surgery
- LASIK certifications by VISX and Alcon
- LASER assisted cataract surgery certifications by Alcon
- Intraocular Colamer Lens(ICL) and INTACS certifications by STAAR and Addition Technology
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology, Director of Residency Training, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX, Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, Washington, DC
- Physician Instructors on the Alcon LADARVISION laser platform
- Board Certified, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Fellows, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Fellows, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Fellows, American College of Surgeons and International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Chief of Staff, Outpatient Surgery Center at Coral Springs
- Board of Trustees, Northwest Medical Center and S. Florida Insurance Trust
- Past Presidents, Broward County Ophthalmology Society
- Chief of Surgery, Northwest Medical Center
Our doctors participate in charitable surgical eye missions, leading teams of surgeons into developing countries in Central and South America and Europe to help fight blindness. They also care for our own less fortunate through the Caridad Clinic.