Ophthalmology Consultants - The Center for LASIK is under the direction of board certified, sub-specialty trained ophthalmologists Randy Burks, MD, FACS and Ray Gailitis, MD, FACS. You can be assured that the care your receive will be comprehensive and delivered with passion.
Extended Phone Hours
Monday - Friday 8:30am - 10:00pm
Saturday - Sunday 12:00pm - 6:00pm
Randy Burks, MD, FACS
Randy Burks, MD FACS is the senior partner at Ophthalmology Consultants, The Center For LASIK. He is a board certified, fellowship trained ophthalmologist, who specializes in LASIK, small incision cataract surgery, and eye plastic and reconstructive surgery. He joined Ophthalmology Consultants in 1989 after completing twelve years of active duty service in the United States Air Force as an F-16 Flight Surgeon and Assistant Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology. While serving at the Air Force’s major medical center as the Director of Residency Training, Dr.(Lt. Col) Burks was responsible for training eye surgery residents.
Dr. Burks has been performing refractive surgical procedures for over twenty years, and lens replacement procedures for over twenty-five. He was a pioneer in the South Florida area, combining refractive surgery with small incision, no stitch, cataract surgery, helping patients see and read without being dependent on glasses. He treats patients from all over the world who have complex cataract and refractive problems. He has also been an invited guest professor at the prestigious Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, teaching cataract and lens replacement techniques to surgeons in training. He was also a co-investigator in the FDA’s clinical trials on Custom LASIK for farsighted patients utilizing the Alcon LADARVISION laser. In addition to his expertise in cataract and refractive surgery, Dr. Burks is a fellowship-trained eye plastic and reconstructive specialist. He performs cosmetic procedures as well a treating facial cancers, deformities, and injuries. He is also an author of the book “What Every Patient Needs to Know about LASIK.”
Dr. Burks has been recognized as one of Americas “Top Ophthalmologists” by the Consumer’s Research Council, and is featured in Top Docs, a prestigious group of physicians recognized as experts in their field. He was also honored with the title of “Humanitarian of the Year” in 2011 for his charity work in developing countries in Central and South America.
Education and Training
- Bachelor of Science, United States Air Force Academy (with honors)
- Doctor of Medicine, Tulane University School of Medicine
- Harvard Basic Science Course in Ophthalmology
- Residency in Ophthalmology, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center
- Fellowship, Eye Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- LASIK certification by VISX and Alcon LADARVISION (instructor)
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology, Director of Residency Training, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center
- Assistant Clinical Professor in Ophthalmology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX
- Assistant Clinical Professor in Ophthalmology, Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, Washington, DC
- Physician Instructor on the Alcon LADARVISION laser platform
- Board Certified, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Fellow, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Chief of Staff, Outpatient Surgery Center at Coral Springs
- Chairman, Board of Trustees, Northwest Medical Center
- Past President, Broward County Ophthalmology Society
- Chief of Surgery, Northwest Medical Center
Dr. Burks participates in charitable surgical eye missions, leading teams of surgeons into developing countries in Central and South America to help fight blindness. He is married to Karen Mann and has three daughters, Amber, Jessica, and Erica.